**DISCLAIMER**–this list was created more than a year ago! I’ve gotten several messages about why certain schools are on the blacklist. I haven’t been in Istanbul in more than a year, so many practices/management, etc. may or may not still be occurring at these establishments. This list is not meant to be a one stop or exhaustive.**— Ashley (May 27,2015)
I’ve been unemployed now for nearly a month. Since I had such a terrible experience with my last employer, I’m being extra cautious this time around. However, This time around, I’ve set my sights on Istanbul and only language schools. Now, If I do well on my Bogazici exam, if I even take it, I might except their offer. I’m not at al interested in teaching at universities here again. So here is a list I’ve heard about of employers that get the green ‘pass’ light and those that have been blacklisted, or yellow (haven’t heard anything); the good and the bad of Istanbul.
**NOTE**–These are in no particular order and many on this list are located on the European side; the ones on the Asian side are just as good (or not) but I’m not interested in living on that side at the moment. Also, I have interviewed/ viewed the facilities of numbers 1,4,5. Since some schools have several branches, you might be required to go to several of them in a week. Lastly, some of these language schools have several branches across the city and nation and not every single one is a shithole. You MUST do your own research in the specific area or school you want. This is a general list of decent or pieces of shit places and females need to be careful because some of the male owners/staff will try and take you to bed.
- Rennert Istanbul
- Speak Up
- British Side (This school is located right next the one listed above)
- EFINST-International House Istanbul
- Horizon International College
- Red Cross/Red Crescent English summer camp (a friend did this and loved it)
- Keystone International School
**Any of the schools with the words ‘time’, ‘just’, or ‘culture’ in them. i.e.-british time, american culture, just english, etc.**
- English TIme (These people are absolute trash at many locations)
- Just English
- Amerikan Kultur
- British Kultur
- Yeditepe University (I’ve only read that the work culture and students is a nightmare.
- Teach to Travel (TTT)- Leeds (Teachers in Turkey)-absolutely terrible!
- Discover English
- Nişantaşı University
- Early Steps in Kadikoy
- Dilko (I’ve read different things about this place. Depends which branch)
- Ihlas Koleji in Yenibosna
- Fatih Koleji in Cobancesme (Supposedly connected with Fetuallah Gulen-a man with notoriety here and not in a good way…
- Play to Learn preschool in Etiler
- Doga Koleji (The worst!)
- Kultur2000 Koleji
- Aci Koleji
- New York Studios Dil Okullari (Berlitz)
- Oxford as Academy Language School
- Liberty English
- Oxford House
- Small Hands Pre-school (rumelihisarustu)
- Bogazici (I can only speculate that it’s good since it’s the top university in the country…)
- TEOL sisli
- Kent English
- Kocaeli English
- Wall Street English
- Usukadar American Academy (I’ve heard mixed reviews on this place)
Okay. That’s it for now. Let me know if some of these should be moved around, taken off, or some new ones added. Again, this is not an exhaustive list.